For decades, people have believed that taking care of the skin is a feminine concept, which is far related or addressed to men, to the point where even the concept of men caring for their skin became taboo!
However, there is nothing unmanly about taking care of oneself and taking measures to look and feel good. Luckily in today’s era, more and more men are educating themselves and embracing ways to include a good skincare ritual in their everyday routine.
Browsing online and searching for a good routine can be overwhelming, especially since the internet is filled with hundreds of suggestions from various sources. For some men, this can be confusing, since they might feel skincare routines are time-consuming. Fortunately, according to various dermatologists and skin experts, a skincare routine needs to contain just a few steps to maintain healthy skin.
Here are the steps that are crucial to start with a skincare routine:
The first step in a skincare routine is the cleansing process. Use a gentle cleanser to remove any dirt, oil, and impurities that tend to clog the pores and can even cause acne and other skin issues.
Also, make sure to identify your skin type before investing in any products. This is because certain skincare products are made for only a certain type of skin. Whether you are of oily, dry, or combination skin, you will find on the market, a cleanser that is made to target that skin type.
Men’s skin is said to be oilier, compared to women’s, therefore there are cleansers that are specifically formulated for men. Include them in your skincare and your skin will thank you!
It is advised to cleanse up to 2 times a day, morning and night. But be careful not to over-cleanse. Over-cleansing can affect the barrier function of your skin and disrupt your skin’s PH level.
After cleansing, it is time to address any specific skin concerns you may have, such as acne, fine lines, or hyperpigmentation. This is where you can apply targeted treatments such as serums, toners, or spot treatments that contain active ingredients like retinol, vitamin C, or salicylic acid.
- Include retinol in your nighttime routine. Retinol helps to reduce fine lines and wrinkles, which slows down the appearance of aging. It also exfoliates the skin, and increases the production of collagen, giving a fresh and plump look.
- It is advised to use them thrice a week for a beginner and to use only a pea-size quantity.
- Using Vitamin C religiously in your morning routine can help brighten up your complexion. Moreover, it has been proven to improve the appearance of acne, wrinkles, and spots.
- Use 10% Vitamin C to start with. You can go up to 20% concentration level, but not more than that. Using more concentrated Vitamin C can cause breakouts and irritation.
- Include a good under-eye cream in your day and night routine to reduce the appearance of dark circles, under-eye bags, wrinkles, fine lines, and puffiness.
- For an instant result, use IRIS ™ 2 to massage the delicate skin around your eyes, helping to improve blood circulation and reduce puffiness instantly.
Moisturizing is essential for keeping the skin healthy, hydrated, and glowing. You need to choose a moisturizer depending on your skin type, that is, whether your skin is oily, dry, or combination. Look for ingredients like hyaluronic acid or glycerin that will help keep the moisture intact for a longer time period.
- Add moisturizers to your morning and night routine for a much more effective result.
- You can also look for a moisturizer that has SPF in it, so as to protect your skin.
Protecting your skin from the sun is crucial to prevent premature aging and sun damage. Make sure to use sunscreen religiously, even on cloudy days and in winter months. Certain dermatologists have also gone to the extent of suggesting to use of it at night time as well.
- Use sunscreen with at least SPF 30, or ideally SPF 50.
- Apply a decent amount of sunscreen for it to work. You can use the 2-finger method.
- Make sure to choose a sunscreen that does not leave a white cast or is not too oily to clog the pores. The ones from La Roche Posay & the Supergoop sunscreen have proven to be great.
Finally, use a dermatologist-recommended exfoliator once or twice a week. Exfoliating is crucial to remove dead skin cells, unclog pores, and improving textured skin, giving smoother and brighter-looking skin.
- Chemical exfoliators have proven to work best.
- Use it at most twice a week. Over-exfoliating can cause irritation and skin damage.
By following this skincare routine consistently, you will be able to have healthy, and clear skin.