If you think there is no connection between our state of mind and our appearance – think again. Everything that happens to us on the inner level reflects on our body. The quickest solution is to work on our appearance, while it takes time to figure out that everything comes from within. The way we look can be significantly impacted by our life decisions, choices, habits, and inner peace and happiness. And that’s where mediation comes into play.
Mindfulness vs Meditation
Being in the present moment and accepting your feelings without being judgmental or overly anxious is called mindfulness. Being mindful also means being aware of your breathing and physical sensations. You are wholly engaged in the “now.” A technique or practice used to develop mindfulness is meditation. The practice of meditation can help you become calmer, focus on being aware, and attain emotional equilibrium.
The Benefits of Meditation
The list is extensive, but here are the most important benefits you can get from meditation practice:
- Stress reduction
- Improved focus and concentration
- Emotional regulation
- Increased self-awareness
- Better sleep
- Enhanced overall well-being
- Reduced skin stress and better skin health
The Effects of Stress on Skin
Since the mind and body are interconnected, stress and emotions can have a significant impact on the skin. When we experience stress, our body releases hormones, such as cortisol. The right cortisol balance is essential for our health, while producing too much or too little can be harmful. Producing too much cortisol under stress can trigger inflammation and skin conditions such as acne, eczema, psoriasis, and rosacea. Excess cortisol can lead to sensitivity, sagging, dryness, dullness and various aging signs. It also ramps up the activity of the sebaceous glands, causing the skin to produce more oil, which leads to blocked pores and breakouts. Another notable consequence is skin barrier dysfunction.
Meditation Benefits for Skin
Meditation is not only beneficial for your mind and body, but it has numerous benefits on your overall skin health as well.
- Stress Reduction and Glowing Skin
Meditation acts as a powerful stress-buster, reducing cortisol levels by calming the mind. This, in turn, helps to minimize skin inflammation and leads to a clearer, healthier complexion.
- Enhanced Skin Repair During Meditation
As we indulge in moments of stillness during meditation, our bodies shift into a state of deep relaxation. This relaxed state fosters better sleep quality, which is crucial for skin repair and rejuvenation.
- Mind-Body Connection for Radiant Skin
Meditation nurtures the mind-body connection, allowing us to become more aware of our physical sensations, emotions, and overall well-being. This heightened self-awareness extends to our skin, helping us detect subtle changes, sensitivities, or signs of imbalance.
- Diminished Skin Aging
Through its cortisol-reducing effects, meditation helps to preserve collagen, the protein responsible for skin’s elasticity, thus reducing the signs of aging and promoting a youthful glow.
- Improved Blood Circulation and Skin Nutrition
The enhanced blood flow to the skin ensures better delivery of oxygen and nutrients to skin cells, causing a healthier and more radiant complexion. Additionally, improved circulation aids in the elimination of toxins, leading to clearer skin.
Tips to Meditation
- If you are not sure which one to practice, try a few meditation techniques and see which one fits you best.
- Try it by yourself (you can support yourself with guided meditation) or in a group.
- Set up a peaceful environment and try to do it at the same place, similar time.
- Find a sitting position that is comfortable for you, you don’t have to obsess about lotus posture.
- Use a timer and put your cell phone away from you or in airplane mode.
- Be patient and persistent.
- Don’t set any expectations.
- The goal is not to completely clear your mind of thoughts, but to be aware of your breath and the present moment, and keep going back to breathing when your mind starts to wander (and it surely will because that’s what the minds do).
Meditation is one of the best things you can do for your health, your body, your mind, and your skin. Remember, meditation works on both conscious and unconscious levels. Even if you don’t see the effects immediately, they are there. It is only a matter of time before you will start to notice and feel them.