There is one step in our skincare routine that can bear repeating- and that’s cleansing. In fact, double cleansing has long been a practice in Korea, and it has started to pick up around the world lately. As a crucial part of many K-beauty skincare routines and key to glass skin, there is much more to it than just washing your face twice.
What Is Double Cleansing?
The name of this routine – double cleanse, could lead you to think it means repeating the same step twice. It’s not entirely about that. The simplest definition of double cleansing is using two different types of cleansers to wash your face.
What to Use?
What should be the skincare routine order? Well, the first to use is an oil-based cleanser that helps melt away any makeup, along with sunscreen. There are some alternatives to oil cleanse, but because make up and sebum are lipophilic (meaning they are dissolving in oil), we find it to be most effective. Second step helps to get rid of everything you might not be able to see with the naked eye, like debris and pollutants. Your gentle cleanser will do the job there, as it will address your particular skin type or concerns. The word gentle is the key here, as you want to avoid formulas with active ingredients like exfoliating acids or benzoyl peroxide.
Benefits of Double Cleansing
Cleansing is the first step to healthy and beautiful skin.
This is what you can expect to get from double cleansing properly:
- Thorough makeup and impurity removal
- Prevention of breakouts and congestion
- Enhanced product absorption
- Healthy and radiant complexion
If you elevate the entire routine with FOREO LUNA 4™, you can be sure you are free from both surface and deep down impurities. Check out why dermatologists are advising this unique beauty-tech tool.
Who Should Double Cleanse and When?
Double cleanse is definitely the best path for oily skin and those who wear makeup daily. Don’t forget that sunscreens also provide a solid barrier, which makes them a very concrete substance on your face, no matter how light the formula is or the brand says it is. Facial washes for oily skin need to be chosen carefully (same goes for all other skin types).
Double cleanse in the evening will ensure perfectly cleansed skin, ready to receive the nurture before bedtime.
Things to Remember About Double Cleansing
- This two-step technique adds only a few minutes to our skincare regimen, but it is not one-routine-fits-all
- It is essential to choose right double cleanse duo to make it efficient, yet gentle and suitable for your skin type
- Avoid over-washing and over-drying your skin
- Stripping too much of your natural oil can lead to producing more oil, which can result in breakouts and irritations
- It is necessary only in nighttime skin care routines, as in the morning, there is no sunscreen or make up you need to get rid of
How to Double Cleanse?
- Apply a cleansing oil or balm. You can try LUNA™ Ultra-Nourishing Cleansing Balm, which has a beautiful list of inactive ingredients (such as sweet almond oil, jojoba oil & shea butter). Those are super important to support active ingredients you are using in steps that follow the cleansing.
- Use your fingers, a cotton pad or a soft cloth to massage the first cleanser into your skin, helping to break down makeup, sebum and sunscreen residue.
- Wet your face with water (remember not to exaggerate in over-washing).
- Apply your second cleanser and massage your skin. You can’t go wrong if you use LUNA™ Micro-Foam Cleanser 2.0 as it is lighter than air, and by using it in pair with FOREO’s LUNA™ device you are guaranteed to remove 99.5% of dirt and oil from skin.
- Rinse off the cleanser and pat your face dry (gently!).
Time Tested Technique
Double cleansing has its roots in the meticulous skincare routines of East Asian cultures that revere clear, luminous skin, and the double cleansing method emerged as a cornerstone of their approach to skincare. We love to learn about things that outlived their time, and always look for inspiration in beauty routines from all around the world! Hopefully, this one will empower your skin to achieve more health and beauty.